In preparation for 3 upcoming senior session, I have 3 things I do for every senior session.
1. Session Prep Tasks
- Location Prep: First, I’ll determine what location we will visit first and share that with my seniors, so they know what outfit to wear first. Then, I determine traveling distance to any other locations, determine the time of sunset, and work backwards to set a start time for the session. I also share a Google pin the day before our session, so that my clients have turn-by-turn directions to our first location. Check out the blog on my favorite senior locations.
- That Extra Touch: After determining the session locations, I make a list of anticipated needs, like a towel or water shoes, if the senior will be posing near or in a lake or creek. I provide all of these items (packed in a wagon!) to take the stress off of Mom!
- Camera Prep: Let’s not forget to charge the camera batteries, format the cards and pack the camera bag.
2. Communication Tasks
- Over-Communicate: I will always confirm the start time and first location one week before, three days before, and one day before the session.
- Bookkeeping: If a balance is due on the account, you will get an invoice via email and payment link, which can be rendered online prior to the session or can be submitted the night of the session.
3. Expertise Tasks
- Outfit Selection: In the week or two leading up to a session, I ask each of my senior clients to text or email pictures of their outfits to me. That way, I can coordinate outfits with locations and make suggestions ahead of time to help the session to flow more efficiently.
- Styling Suggestions: This also allows me the opportunity to suggest tweaks (a beige shirt versus stark white, for instance), props (like sports equipment, band instruments, and more) and other accessories that will photograph better and maintain the cohesiveness of not only their session, but also my body of work as a whole.
Adding these three lists of action items to your senior photography session prep workflow will improve your efficiency and deliver an elevated client experience – plus, the photos will be much stronger, too!
As always, I’m here if you have questions about how to improve your senior photography services.
Check out my portfolio and see how much I love capturing senior portraits! Connect with me on IG @sarahmonsonphotography or on Facebook.